Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Trying out a new recipe

This evening we decided to try out a new recipe from the latest issue of Recipes+ (available from Woolies). This one was called Bacon and Egg Pie.



There are four eggs on the top, the recipe called for six!! but I had to cover one with a spinach leaf as it was leaking out of the side of the pie.

Recipe:

Serves 6
Prep: 30mins
Cooking Time: 1 and 1/2hrs plus cooling

2 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry, thawed (I used puff cos I read it wrong!)
1 tsp oil
4 green onions. thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped (mine came out of a jar)
175gm bacon, rind removed, chopped
6 eggs lightly whisked, plus 6 extra (I will leave these off next time)
3/4 cup cream
100gm grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise (I only had proper ones so I diced two)
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
50gms baby spinach leaves (we used baby silverbeet leaves out of our vege garden)
Steamed mixed veges to serve (we had a baked spud)

1. Preheat  oven to 180 C/160 C fan forced. Grease a 20cm springform pan. Gently press pastry sheets into the pan, overlapping the centre. Trim edge (allow some to fall over the edge and then trim as it shrinks whilst cooking). Prick base with a fork. Bake for 15 mins or until light golden brown (mine took about 25mins but that could be cos I used the wrong pastry sheets LOL) . Reduce oven to 160 C/140C fan forced.

2. Heat oil in a large frying pan over mod high heat. Add onion and garlic, cook and stir for 3 mins or until softened. Add bacon, cook and stir for 3 mins or until golden and cooked. Transfer to a large heatproof bowl and let cool.

3. Add whisked egg, cream, tomato, cheese and spinach to bacon mixture in bowl. Season. Stir well to combine. Pour into cooked pastry case. Crack the extra eggs onto the top of the mixture, taking care not to break the yolks. (I managed 4 but the last one overflowed) Bake for 55-60mins (I had to sit mine on a tray at it had overflowed and it took about 1 1/2 hrs to cook) or until set and light golden. Stand for 5 mins. Slice then serve with steamed veges.

Verdict: YUM YUM!

This evening Steve and I had a play with LUGZ. Ever heard of them... me neither but we have a box full :)  The idea is to create layered creatures, people, buildings, using the LUGZ to hold them together. The LUGZ are magnetic and slotted. So you join the LUGZ together and then slide the pieces you want to play with into the slots and build up your creation.

Here is a picture of Steve very proudly showing off his creations!


Have a wonderful day wherever you are!

PS  let me know if you try the recipe!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yum! This looks delicious. I am disabled and can't cook anymore but I may just have to talk my hubby through this recipe :) Thanks for sharing it.

Jani
papercompulsions.blogspot.com